Friday, July 16, 2010

I Can Count

When working on knitting projects, I always have a hard time keeping count of my rows.  Someone will start talking to me, and my multi-tasking goes to the waste side...I will almost always forget my count.  I am sure more experienced knitters have no problem looking at their work and are able to just count the rows.  Not me.

I now present to you....the counting stick...(or very simple Abacus)




Every fifth bead is the same, so I can count in fives.  After each row, I slide one bead from one side to the next.  Simple, right?  The charm is to mark my place, when I need to put the project down.


Here is how I made it:

Materials:
Metal Hanger
Wire Cutters
Pliers
Beads
Hot Glue Gun/Glue Sticks
Yarn

Directions:
The straight bottom of the hanger is your "stick".  Using the wire cutters cut where indicated in the picture below.


"String" beads on the wire.  You can make a pattern, or make it random like I did.  I would suggest every 5th bead using the same beads to make it easy to keep your count.  Also, leave enough room to be able to slide the beads over from one side to the next, and have the definition to see the division between the two.

Using the pliers, bend the ends into a circle.  The main purpose is to create a stopper at each end so the beads don't fall off.  At this point you could call it done.  I decided that the ends needed a little more decoration so I crocheted around the wire, and added a couple beads.  I also used hot glue to adhere the sharp end of the wire to where it meets to form the circle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment