After much patience, I broke down and bought a beautiful ribbon yarn by Louise Harding called Thalia, without knowing what I was going to do with it. And later found out it has been discontinued. It was a $10 skein of yarn, but so pretty and different I just could not resist.
I thought at first I would make a continuous scarf/cowl...free form. After knitting about half the skein, it was not going to be big enough to look good, so I unraveled it and started looking for patterns. The search for what to make with this yarn was quite painful. I didn't want to have to buy another skein (I am cheap). It is only about 50 yards, so it had to be a knit pattern. Wanted something I could wear, or at least use. Also wanted something different. After a week of searching I found Vicki Howell's CowlKerchief. It looked simple, yet different and fun.
For a little finishing I crocheted a simple single crochet edge around the whole thing. I also decided to just make a crochet "button". I think it turned out pretty good.
Now what to wear with it...